Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I'm a quilter . . . of the Hawaiian variety!

(image from Google, no I did not do this quilt~I wish!)
I consider myself an avid quilter. I've completed a handful of pieced-block quilts and even hand quilted a few of them. I have several quilting projects in the works at this very moment. However, when we moved here to Hawaii, I vowed that I would never attempt a Hawaiian Quilt. Are you kidding me? Have you seen the rows upon rows of quilting that fill the entire quilt? Not to mention that they are very intricate patterns that are 'appliqued'. I'm capable of applique, I just choose to not do it (more hand stitching!).



Well . . .



At church we have interest groups that get together for various things . . . cooking, baking, book groups and of course quilting. When I heard that they were going to teach traditional Hawaiian quilting . . . I JUMPED AT THE CHANCE! What? Why would I pass up the opportunity to learn from actual Hawaiian quilters? I'd be crazy to pass it up.



I know I said I'd NEVER do a Hawaiian Quilt . . . what do I know?



This is my block below. It's the "coconut" pattern. I'd never seen the "coconut" pattern before, and I LOVE me some coconuts! I bought my kit at the Polynesian Cultural Center on one of our visits to Oahu just before our quilting get-together. I'm pretty sure I'm the teacher's pet! ;-)




(my block is about 18x18 inches)

The woman that is teaching us is "Auntie Kuhiki". She's missing most of her teeth, but I adore her. She's a sweet heart and a crack up! And she's been working on her Hawaiian quilt for about 35 YEARS! Ummm . . . yeah~



Last night as we were quilting on her big quilt (the one that's been needing to be finished for 35 YEARS), she and her son (who is always sweet enough to help his mama set up her quilt and then sit there while we gab and quilt), were talking about their awesome family reunions. They sounded like so much fun that I decided to adopt myself into their family! I wonder if they'd take me in?


(this image is from Google, this is not Auntie Kuhiki)

2 comments:

yui said...

I regularly visit your blog.
Keep on challenging!

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.