Saturday, March 7, 2009

Addiction Justified!!!

I've already admitted that I have a serious addiction to Facebook. It's no secret. And this past week I've been feeling rather guilty about it. As some of you know, I'm a substitute educational aide at the elementary school here in Pukalani. Well, for 2 weeks now they haven't had the need to be graced with my presence. And that's fine with me - I thoroughly enjoy (and secretly wish for) days to myself. But after I've made the beds, washed the dishes and had a little exercise (emphasis on 'little'), and having no second car to run to the beach if I want, and having "winter weather" (translates to windy and rainy) I would find myself giving in to my 'addiction' with no reason not to! Besides, this is my way to peek in on my friends and see what's happening in other parts of the world. Not to mention I've had my astrological personality explained to me by an old JC (Joseph City) friend who now lives in Germany! I may do another post explaining more about that at another time.

So the other day when I'm eating my breakfast, waiting for a call from the school, I hop on Facebook to see what's happening and to kill a few minutes before possible work. An old friend, Chas DeWitt, who is now the principal of a Blanding Jr. High School is online and "popped" in to say 'hi'. (I actually typed "pooped" but quickly corrected myself!) He was at a conference and apparently was a little bored with the speakers at the moment. So I think to myself, "Blanding . . . I wonder . . .". It went something like this:

Me: Hey Chas, do you know any Kartchners?

CD: I know a Keith Kartchner . . .

(at this point, being that it's been way too many years back and having a sketchy memory I had to think really hard about that. And I had to ask my sister to verify! "Yeah, Keith was the blonde one", she says.) So a few days later after Chas returns to school:

Me: Keith is my cousin! Will you tell him 'hi' for me?

CD: Sure.

Me: Did you tell him 'hi' yet? How about now? . . . now?

CD: I haven't seen him yet . . .

Me: I'm not going to stop buggin you until you tell him 'hi'.

CD: here's his number (---/--- ----) why don't you just call him?

Me: NO - I'd feel like a nerd, just tell him 'hi' for me.
****time elapse****
CD: Keith says 'hi' and here's his email address!

I'm all excited now! So I write an email right away and get an answer the following morning. He said it was a nice surprise to hear from me. I had him tell me all about his family and where everyone is living now. Told him I was sorry to here his dad passed away. We emailed back and forth a few times now. (a side note, if he was on FB we could chat live! hint-hint) But that's not the end of the story!

Like I said, I haven't been called into work for 2 weeks, so I've had a few days of indulgence! On another morning when I was on the computer I had it signed into Facebook "just in case a friend wants to 'pop' in and say hi"! But I was really working on my resume and applying to Hawaiian Airlines. Really! . . . . I don't understand why you're having a hard time believing me right now. But I'm really telling the truth! So I'm feverishly trying to remember hire dates of old jobs and find employment info when I hear that "pop"! That "pop" tells me I have a message on facebook. I get all excited to see who's "dropped in". So it's Chas again:

CD: Tauna!

Me: What?

CD: I found another cousin of yours!

Me: WHO?

CD: Linnae
**thinking to myself "hmmm - Linnae?" -brain trying hard to remember-**

Me: what is her last name?

CD: Cluff
**thinking again, "Cluff? That doesn't sound right. Especially if she's Uncle Sam's daughter."**

Me: ask her who her parents are

CD: She says "aunt Erlene"

Me: That's what I was thinking. Tell her to add me as a friend on FB
****about 2 seconds later I have a friend request from her****

Me: her last name is Lewis!

CD: oh yeah, duh!

Me: Thanks Chas! We might have to have a family reunion in your back yard!

CD: Fine by me!

Then Linnae and I start chatting up a storm getting to know each other again and sharing memories. But there was an instant connection! We are family after all.

Who knew Facebook would be the family reuniter? And now I'm not feeling quite so guilty about my few indulgent days. They were worth it and I'm totally thrilled to be reconnected to cousins that I have fond memories of. Memories of camping trips and family reunions. Memories of trying to break a pinata at Grandpa's house! Linnae told me a memory she had of my brother David and how he was trying to get her to talk, but she was too shy. Then he slammed his hand down on the table and scared her half to death! Poor girl, I hope there was no lasting emotional damage from that! =) But just in case - I'd keep all sudden loud sounds away from her!

Sorry there aren't any photos to go with this post. I know how you prefer "picture books" to "pictureless novels". But this was all about the 'typed' message and how it brought some family back together again.

And just a quick shout out to Linnae - I read your blog page about your side of the story and that inspired my blog post. Very cute, I loved it. And to all of your family that will hopefully read this, and my family as well . . . GET ON FACEBOOK!!!! It's much easier than waiting for a post or an email to know what's happening in our lives or going through our minds. And WAY easier to carry on a conversation in a chat box than through email or blog comments. I'm just sayin' . . .

4 comments:

Kenny Do's said...

Haha Tauna! I loved your post... It was fun to hear your side of the story! You are so funny! Can't wait until next time! ~~Tech Junkie~~ It MUST run in our blood! :D

Peggy said...

Maui Schmaui! How would it be to live a perfect life? I'll come to Maui in a heartbeat if your husband gets me a job - I'm an x-ray tech! I'm glad you and Linnae found each other so we can all get better acquainted.

Katie Thompson said...

Its so funny how you are trying to break your addiction but you are hinting other people to get on and that will just make you talk MORE! you make me laugh....:D lol still luv you any way though!

Jason and Jennifer Bryce said...

I would..but the hubby won't allow it...Ya know he is kinda a hermit and we are suppose to be like him.