Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Doubt not, Fear not!

It's crazy to be posting this right after my niece, Jill, posted her "Tender Mercies". But we had our own "tender mercy" moment today.

Camille and I were sitting in my bedroom talking about school when we heard Scott drive in. Our bedroom window is open to the carport. Before he walked in the door I smelled the unmistakable smell of an over-heated car very strongly. So I meet him at the door and ask if the car over-heated. He told me, in a very aggrivated tone, that the engine light, battery light and smoke happened all at once on his way home. The look on his face was a mix of absolute frustration, worry and even fear. We only have one car. There is no back up. There is no Wendi next door with a porche to use at our leisure. So if this car is out - we're crippled! So yeah, Scott had every right to be totally freaked out when he got home. (I even heard a grumble to the effect of "we're paying our tithing".)

I've learned in these situations to zip my lip and stay out of the way. I'll help if he needs it. But I'm usually just a hinderance. And Scott is better off working things out on his own. After all, his nick-name is McGiver. So anyways, he grabbed some tools and went back out. He comes back in with a pulley in his hand that's all broken up. It goes to the main 'serpentine' belt which pretty much causes everything to run. Without it - no go. The good news is, he found the part for about $20. Awesome! The bad news is to get it here over night would make it cost around $100. Bummer. And being that this is all after hours in the rest of the country, we're still going to have to wait at least 2 days.

So we go into survivor mode and start wondering how he's getting to work in the morning and what are we going to do about Camille getting to early morning seminary? He could possibly take the bus or catch a ride with a co-worker. Maybe the seminary teacher can pick up Camille. During this whole problem, I keep hearing in my mind over and over, loud and clear, "Doubt not, Fear not"! I know things will work out. We always seem to pull through and Heavenly Father has always watched over us and provided our needs. Scott wasn't through problem solving just yet.

Our landlord is a bit of a hobby car enthusiest. He has 2 old trucks that have been tricked out and restored. He has a beautiful old car that's been perfectly restored and another that is in the process. He has 2 corvettes in the wings waiting to be restored. And a criss craft wooden boat he's been working on restoring. He's always doing something. So Scott thought, "I'm just going to see if Mark has a pulley that might fit." So off he goes. Meanwhile, I'm quilting away, trying to figure out how we'll get Camille to seminary, and hearing over and over, "doubt not, fear not".

After a while Scott comes back in (I hear the rover running so . . .) and gives me that look. It's not a look of triumph as much as it is a look of "unbelievable". And he says, "What are the odds of Mark having an old part from a corvette that will fit a rover!" Doubt not, fear not! After a minute or two Scott says, "you know a phrase keeps going over in my head . . .". I said, "oh yeah, me too, let's compare them." So I told him mine. And his was ". . .he will have power to bruise thy heel, but you will have power to crush his head!"

Tender mercies indeed!

No comments: