Saturday, January 31, 2009

Happy Chinese New Year . . . Or Happy 4706!

Happy Chinese New Year to all my Chinese friends. I didn't think I had any chinese friends, but was corrected when my friend Kim informed me that she is 1/4 Chinese! I'm so lucky!

Last Saturday we went to a movie. We saw "Inkheart". The book was way better, as is usually the case. But that has nothing to do with the Chinese New Year.
When we came out of the theater the celebrating was in full swing.
Let the fun begin!
Legend has it that in ancient times, Buddha asked all the animals to meet him on Chinese New Year. Twelve came, and Buddha named a year after each one. He announced that the people born in each animal's year would have some of that animal's personality. This is the year of the Ox. Those born in ox years tend to be painters, engineers, and architects. They are stable, fearless, obstinate, hard-working and friendly. Jack Nicholson, Jane Fonda, Walt Disney, and Anthony Hopkins were all born in the year of the ox.

Scott and Camille are goats. I'm a monkey! And I have no idea what any of that means!
Look! I see Mr. Dragon. Come closer Mr. Dragon . . .

I have something for you!

Open wide . . .

If I give you my "lucky money" you will bring me good fortune, right?
RIGHT?
(we better have a deal Mr. Dragon, or I want my money back!)

There was beautiful dancing girls . . .

of all ages!

And dragons and drums!



And dragons and firecrackers!

And more dragons and drums . . .
and me!

1 comment:

Jason and Jennifer Bryce said...

I think I will dress up like a dragon in Hawaii, maybe people will feed me money! Did they burp pennies? Did you ever find out what kind of bug that was that crawled up on you? Spray for bugs!!!